One of our passions at Helen Walker Occupational Therapy is supporting individuals to manage and help regulate their thoughts, emotions and sensory processing needs. Being at a ’Just Right level’ of emotional and sensory arousal is essential for being, doing, developing and connecting in life.
Our Occupational Therapists use their unique skills and experience to complete assessments, recommendations and ongoing therapy for clients across a range of environmental settings and relationships. Our focus is on helping clients identify and understand emotions in themselves, recognise building signs of distress and to independently use coping strategies.
We also work closely with families and/or support networks to develop understanding and insight and support them to be able to implement recommended strategies. Our skilled therapists give attention to clients’ key relationships; strengthening these to feel safe and secure which sets a foundation that enables connection and engagement within their world.
Interventions we can provide include:
- Assessments and reporting
- Use of sensory stimuli
- Body-based strategies
- Recommendations for environmental changes, aids, equipment and resources
- Creating a sensory/wellness ‘toolbox’
- Mindfulness based strategies
- Acceptance and Commitment therapy strategies
- Helping families and support networks to recognise needs and implement strategies